Sunday, July 15, 2007

King's Island


Yesterday I went to King's Island, an amusement park just east of Cincinnati with a bunch of international students. I spent the day with eight French-speaking students (mostly from France, one from Morocco and one from Nigeria). I knew six of them pretty well, so I was very much a part of the group despite knowing very little French. There was one point where Marlene said something in French and I said "What?" and she repeated it in French a little more loudly as if the problem was that I hadn't heard it the first time :D. I take that as a complement that they don't necessarily remember that I don't have their language in common with them. In case you're wondering, I took that picture from the park's mini Eiffel Tower and that is the Vortex, one of their largest roller coasters and one that we rode and enjoyed.

Before yesterday I'd been on a grand total of one (1) roller coaster, and that was a solid twelve (12) or more (+) years ago, so in addition to spending the whole day with non-Americans, the whole death-defying speed thing was a pretty new experience. I went on five roller coasters and four watery dealies, and... yeah. I took a couple videos, but they were on the two wooden roller coasters, so the vids are really bumpy. Fun day though.

Today I spent a lot of time thinking about how relatively isolated from the body of Christ I've been this summer. I've found more friendship at parties where underage drinking, flirting, and smoking abound than at some churches. Part of my reaction is frustration with the body of Christ, and I believe rightly so. But I also know that God allowed this to happen, and it has required me to "fly solo" in my walk with Christ more than I ever have before. I don't recommend doing that by choice, but it has unique opportunities for growth.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

sounds like you all had a great time at King's Island. Great picture! I remember riding the Vortex and The Beast jittering my teeth!