Saturday, June 9, 2007

Why do people go to church to pray?

This morning as I was waking up, I thought about the challenge that I and many others have in spending meaningful time with God regularly. One of the things that makes it hard for me is that I have only one room, so almost everything that is in my life that could distract me is less than ten feet away. Here in Dayton I have my own room and it has two desks, so simply sitting at the desk that my computer isn't at helps a lot.

So I was thinking about this this morning, and I remember how some people have a little area of their room or house set up as a "prayer corner" of sorts--A special place where they can go to remove distractions and put their focus on God. The Romans in ancient times had "household gods" in a special room where they could make offerings.

Then I realized with greater clarity than before why people go to a church to pray. It isn't that God is any nearer to us at church. It isn't that he cares more about people who pray from a church. Out of all the places there are to pray, a church is one with very few distractions. It is a place where you don't have to worry about other people thinking you're strange. Everything in that place is designed to aid one's focus on Christ, so prayer can be far more meaningful and effective. So if you're in the Dayton area this summer, don't be too surprised if you notice some crazy person going into a church during the middle of the week and realize that it's me.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Good point. Dayton huh? What are you upto out there? Glad to see you're trying your hand at blogging, it's addictive fyi. Looking forward to more posts...

Blake said...

The complexity of the aesthetic experience in the old Cathedrals is designed with great thought towards problems like what you are contemplating. If you just want a place to pray and don't care where it is I recommend a Catholic church.

«Pe†er» said...

Yeah actually just yesterday I looked into the chapel here at UD and it is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Well written article.