Sunday, June 10, 2007

Movie Comments

This evening I went to go see "Waitress" at an independent film theater. Apparently it's also made it into main theaters now too. I really liked it and feel like recommending it, except that I can't really think of any particular reason that it's a good movie. So I guess I'll start writing my thoughts and see what happens.

Basic premise: A waitress who makes amazing pies works with two other waitresses and a horrible boss. One thing that I found interesting was that both of her coworkers find "love" during the course of the movie. One says the equivalent of "Well, he loves me and no one else does, so I guess I'll take him." The other has an affair with their boss because, as she puts it, she has someone to look pretty for and it's exciting, even though the guy is a jerk and married to a nice woman and she doesn't love him.

Two women who both are involved in relationships for two very wrong reasons. The stories do end up happier than the part I told (for those of us who are romantics at heart), but these stories provoke thought about what a good reason to enter into a relationship is. I think that's why I like this movie, there are interesting people with interesting relationships in it. The part that I described is just a subplot, so don't expect the whole movie to be about those things. Some characters you hate, others you just can't make up your mind about, and some you root for all along. The end is a bit unexpected but it was happy enough to leave me with a warm feeling.

One of the best parts about it was that Nathan Fillion has a large role in it. He is the main actor from the tv show Firefly and the movie Serenity. I really enjoy his ability to work with good dialog. He had quite a few clever interchanges with the lead actress.

No comments: