Thursday, June 21, 2007

Locked Doors Bug Me (when my keys are on the other side)

So when that little switch at the bottom is flipped my door locks. That's fine with me except that when I unlock my door the switch doesn't flip back...

That lead me to the situation of the morning. Last night when I got back I unlocked my door and went to bed. This morning I got up and went outside for a minute. The wind blew the door shut and there I was, no keys. It cost me ten bucks to get my door unlocked so my immediate resolution was to make sure that this was never going to happen again. First I removed the panel over the switch and tryed using duct tape to fasten it down. That worked exceeding well. So well in fact, that the door wouldn't even lock. Next I decided to try to make a jimmy out of a coat hanger. I stepped outside and closed the door to test if the coat hanger would fit in between and lo and behold! The door was locked, I was on the outside, and my keys were on the inside, again.

I had three choices.
1. Make the jimmy and hope it works. My pliers were inside my room, dang it!
2. See if by random luck (or blessing) Josh's key happened to open my door.
3. Go pay another ten dollars five minutes after I locked myself out the first time.

I went to see if Josh had pliers, nope. I tried bending the coat hanger using my knife (that I somehow had even though I didn't have my keys), didn't quite work. So I borrowed Josh's key and my door opened right up, I guess God does have a sense of humor. After that, I put my keys in my pocket and made and tested my jimmy, shown below. It works pretty well so I hid it outside my room so that I will NOT get locked out of my room again this summer.

2 comments:

Zach said...

Hmm... maybe we just shouldn't lock the doors next semester. :)

Unknown said...

Why am I not surprised?.......
;)