Thursday, October 11, 2007

So I spoke at Quest tonight...

and it was kinda crazy. I really wasn't that nervous and I got a lot of positive feedback. For anyone who isn't in the loop, Quest is InterVarsity's large group meeting. I spoke for ~30 minutes to a group of about a hundred or so students. I was responding to some street preachers who came to campus a couple weeks ago. They did know the gospel, but they presented it in a somewhat incomplete and a rather offensive manner. I talked about a couple things that they did/said that don't line up with Scripture and then talked about the challenge to us to be showing authentic Christianity. You can see my notes here if you're interested.

The deeper question that it raises for me is if this is something I could see myself doing a lot more of. I did enjoy it, but right now I don't think I'd be able to spend all day every day preparing for talks and such. I need to design an amplifier every now and then to keep me sane :).

Every now and then I'm reminded of a a time when I met a pastor who immediately began ask me what I wanted to do with my life. I was probable only about 13 at the time, but I was already thinking about being an engineer and said as much. His response? "I went to school for engineering and now I'm a pastor." I still wonder if that short interchange will end up coming true.

No comments: