Thursday, August 23, 2007

To Cell, or Not to Cell

So I've been looking seriously into getting a cell phone. Yesterday I spent a couple hours on the net and finally found the best bargain prepaid phone I could. I didn't buy it immediately because part of the deal included that the phone is "reconditioned" and until I know what that means I'm not going to pay out a ton of money for it. Last night I was thinking about a number of things, one of them being this cell phone deal. The cost still comes out to approximately 15 cents a minute for calls. So I started thinking, "Is a ten minute phone call really worth $1.50 to me? Is a twenty minute phone call worth $3?" I can make a meal for two or three bucks, is that the same value as a phone call?

The reason I've resurrected this idea is for the sake of staying in touch with people better while I'm living off campus. I'll be spending more time on campus and for the sake of being available to people and getting a hold of new friends and old ones, it's tempting to get a cell phone. Half the convenience is having a digital phone book that you carry with you.

But in another year I will probably be making a lot more money and will be able to afford a cell phone more easily. I've made it three years of college without a cell phone and I'm sure I could survive a fourth.

1 comment:

Blake said...

Fight the power!! I am. ;D