Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Something I heard today (well, I started this blog two weeks ago)

I was listening to Christian radio this morning and the DJ read the days "Word on the Way," the Bible verse of the day. He talked about it for just a minute, and I don't remember the verse, but his application for it is that it is wrong to think that what your denomination believes is right and other denominations that disagree with you are wrong. He said if you think that, stop, because that's what divides Christians.

That kinda bugged me, because if I don't think that what I believe is right, what's the point in believing anything? I understand the importance of accepting the possibility that I am in error and respecting the beliefs of those who disagree with me. It is really important for Christians to avoid over-emphasizing minor theology, especially when it comes to unity in the universal church, but I believe what I believe because I think it's true. By definition, it follows that I believe that those who disagree with me are wrong. Could I be wrong? Absolutely. But that doesn't mean that have to agree that someone else is just as right as I am when one of us is clearly in error.

What divides Christians is not individuals standing for what they believe. Divisions are caused by Christians who are unwilling to agree to disagree.

No comments: